Water Sector Resilience Nexus for Sustainability in Barbados (WSRN S-Barbados)
- Energy generation and access
- Health, food and water security
- Livelihoods of people and communities
Location & People
- Latin America & Caribbean
- Barbados BB
- Public / Private
- Project size:
- E&S Risk category:
- Category A
- Category B
- Category C
- Instrument Grant USD
- Barbados Water Authority Grant USD
Project ownersAccredited Entity
- Access Modality: Direct (Regional)
- Caribbean Community Climate Change Centre (CCCCC)
- Barbados Water Authority (BWA) Barbados
Climate change is expected to affect Barbados through an increasing severity of tropical storms and hurricanes, leading to serious impact on water supply from groundwater resources. WSRN S-Barbados will increase water security via the installation of photovoltaic solar and backup natural gas power for pumping stations, while implementing climate resilience actions in the water sector, including through a water sector master plan, enhancing infiltration, and by reducing non-revenue water and improving overall water management.
An adaptation fund, set up with operational cost savings from implementing the renewable energy activities, will provide credit lines to implement water conservation actions, whilst other activities will build public awareness to achieve more sustainable water usage.
The project has an estimated lifespan of 30 years.
- Caribbean Community Climate Change Centre (CCCCC) Dr. Mark Bynoe Tel: +501 822-2970 Ext. 232 Ms. Sharon Lindo Tel: +501 822-2970 Ext. 233
- Ministry of Finance and Economic Affairs Barbados Mr. Seibert Frederick