National Adaptation Planning for Improved Food Security in Grenada

Document cover for National Adaptation Planning for Improved Food Security in Grenada
English | PDF | 3.99 MB

National Adaptation Planning for Improved Food Security in Grenada

Grenada’s increasing vulnerability and exposure to climate hazards, and risks is disruptive to all of the four pillars of National Food Security i.e., availability, accessibility, utilization/nutrition, and stability. Climate hazards includes increased frequency of extreme and intense weather events (hurricanes, storms, floods, drought, and sea level rise).

Local production accounts for about 30% of food consumption. The remaining 70% is imported. Climate change vulnerability also impacts all components of the food value chain and in particular the livelihoods of the most vulnerable persons and communities.

The Grenada National Adaptation Plan (NAP) 2017-21 Programme of Action (PoA) 4 Food Security has as its goal ‘The foundation is laid for food availability, stability, access, and safety amidst increasing climate change risks’ the listed objectives of the priority Actions under POA 4-Food security are as follows:

  • Objective 1: Improve availability of sector-specific climate vulnerability data.
  • Objective 2: Improve policy, legal, regulatory, and institutional framework to support climate-smart practices in agriculture and fisheries.
  • Objective 3: Build capacity and provide technology options which ensure food security.
  • Objective 4: Enhance social protection for farming and fishing communities.
  • Objective 5: Improve understanding of and knowledge about climate impacts, vulnerabilities, risks and resilience options.
  • Objective 6: Mobilize funding for further resilience-building measures to ensure food security.
Cover date 03 November 2021
Document type Approved readiness proposal
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations