Improving the resilience of vulnerable coastal communities to climate change related impacts in Viet Nam
- Forests and land use
- Livelihoods of people and communities
- Ecosystems and ecosystem services
- Infrastructure and built environment
- #11 Sustainable cities and communities
Location & People
- Asia Pacific
- Vietnam VN
- Public / Private
- Project size:
- E&S Risk category:
- Category A
- Category B
- Category C
- Instrument Grant USD
- Ministry of Construction Grant USD
- Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development Grant USD
- UNDP Grant USD
Project ownersAccredited Entity
- Access Modality: International
- Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development Vietnam
Strengthening storm and flood protection for coastal communities in Viet Nam through resilient housing, planting and rehabilitation of mangrove forests, and systematized climate risk assessments for the public and private sectors.
Impoverished coastal communities in Viet Nam are impacted by frequent flooding and storms, with 60,000 houses damaged or destroyed each year causing huge economic impacts. The rural poor are at especially high risk given their reliance on natural resources for their livelihoods, particularly in agriculture and fisheries.
More resilient housing will be created through incorporating storm and flood resilient design features in new houses to benefit up to 20,000 people who are exposed to high risk from adverse weather events. In order to create storm surge buffers, 4,000 hectares of mangroves will be planted and rehabilitated, which will also create sustainable ecosystem resources to support coastal livelihoods. The project will also develop systematized climate and economic risk assessments for private and public sector application in all 28 coastal provinces of Viet Nam.
The project has an estimated lifespan of 5 years.
|Document title||Published date|
|Funding proposal||22 Mar 2017|
|ESS report||27 Sep 2016|
|Gender assessment||06 Jun 2017|
|Gender action plan||06 Jun 2017|
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Ms. Adriana Dinu Tel: +1 212 906 5143 Mr. Lucas Black Tel: +1 212 906 5842
- Ministry of Planning and Investment Vietnam Dr. Pham Hoang Mai