Making complaints and requests
How to file a complaint
Cases can be filed with the IRM by two or more people who believe they have been directly affected by adverse impacts through the failure of a project or programme funded by GCF to implement GCF’s operational policies and procedures, including environmental and social safeguards.
Other kinds of complaints, such as allegations of corruption and irregular procurement, are handled by separate independent units associated with GCF, including the Independent Integrity Unit (IIU).
While no special form is required to lodge a complaint, it is advisable to include the following information.
- Details of affected people: Name, title, address and contact information
- Representative/s: If a representative of affected people contacts the IRM, they should provide
- the representative/s name, title, address and contact details;
- names of the affected people on whose behalf they are acting;
- signed evidence of authority to represent affected people.
- Confidentiality of identity: Complainants should state whether they want to keep their identities confidential. Complainants' identities will be kept confidential from all parties other than the IRM, unless they agree to disclose their identities. Authorized representatives' identities will be disclosed, unless they are complainants themselves.
- GCF funded project or programme: Provide a brief description including name, location and, if known, the GCF reference number of the relevant project or programme.
- Adverse Impacts: Describe, in as much detail as possible, how the GCF-funded project or programme has adversely affected the complainants.
- Policy or Procedure not followed: State, if possible, whether the adverse impacts have been caused by a failure to implement a GCF policy or procedure. If possible, identify the relevant policy or procedure.
- Relief or remedy: State what the complainants expect as relief, redress or remedy from the GCF.
Requests for reconsideration of GCF Board decision
It is possible for NDAs or focal points to contact the IRM to call for a reconsideration of a GCF Board decision which has rejected their funding proposal. In certain cases, the head of the IRM can determine whether such a rejection decision has taken into account GCF policies, programme priorities and eligibility criteria.